Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tis the season to give thanks

This summer and fall have been such a whirl wind here in our lil' ol Leg. department, it has been kind of hard to sit back and gain a bit of perspective.

Today, the day before Thanksgiving (and a 4 day weekend!!!!), the boss (Dennis) is somewhere on a beach in Mexico. Since it is noon here, I am sure he has popped the top on some kind of refreshing beverage.

Diana is at her desk plugging away at a report. She has her bellaluna candle burning, so our crowded little office smells lovely.

April is noshing on some healthy vegetable matter that she religiously brings from home everyday. Yesterday she shared some of her pomegranate with me. On top of being a superstar in the political action department, she is also a heck of a mom and a world class shopper (bet you didn't guess that!)

Alia isn't feeling so good. Like the trooper she is, she is in her office working on health care getting ready to travel to her relatives tomorrow and pick the crust off of her pumpkin pie.

Greg, the head cheese, was even here today, although there is less of him here than usual (perhaps more on that later), dropping off a wreath and taking care of some last minute stuff.

As I sit here and take stock, I would like to report to you, gentle reader that I am incredibly thankful and blessed. Here is my short list of thanks:
1. I am thankful for my family. They allow me to NOT attend the big, crowded Holiday feast at my sisters house and don't cuss me for not showing up.
2. I am thankful for my team. Without getting too sappy, they are the bee's knees. Collectively they are knowledgeable, supportive, non-judgemental (to your face anyway;-) and patient. All are "must have" qualities when you have to deal with the likes of me.
3. I am thankful for our organization. The world of lobbying gets a pretty uncomplimentary rap. WFSE is an organization that works for it's members and does so with values it's members can be proud of. It ain't perfect, but it's heart is in the right place and its' A&$ always follows not far behind.
4. I am thankful for those unnamed supporters who gave me a chance to do this job. You know who you are. I hope that I live up to your continued support and respect in the coming year.
5. Lastly, I am thankful to our activists. Our special members who not only do their jobs for the state, but also do the hard work of representing and forwarding all of our members interests. Thanks to you and your families for supporting you as you log in the many hours that you work for labor.

May you all have a special and blessed Thanksgiving. Then lets get to work on the Legislative session!
z

No comments: